Cross-platform Tools for Translators
Verify the validity of your XLIFF (XML Localisation Interchange File Format) documents in any platform with XLIFFChecker.
XLIFFChecker checks your documents against the XLIFF DTD (version 1.0) or XLIFF Schemas (versions 1.1 and 1.2). It also verifies if they follow the requirements described in XLIFF specifications. XLIFF is a complex format and verifying against an XML grammar is not enough to ensure compliance with the standard.
XLIFF is becoming increasingly popular as exchange format between users of CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tools. Compliance with the official specifications published by OASIS is essential for allowing interoperability between tools.
The source code of XLIFFChecker is available under Eclipse Public License v1.0. XLIFFChecker users can freely inspect the code to understand why the program complains at an error in an XLIFF file or to confirm a bug/omission in the validator program.
Executable versions (binaries) of XLIFFChecker are included in Swordfish III installers.
The source code of XLIFFChecker is available in the following SVN repository at SourceForge:
Errors found in the source code should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
XLIFFChecker supports XLIFF versions 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 in its two flavours (Strict and Transitional).
- Version 1.0-8 - July 20, 2012
- Implemented language code verification using BCP47.
- Version 1.0-7 - July 17, 2011
- Fixed error parsing files that don't declare a namespace.
- Updated installers to support Mac OS X Lion (10.7)
- Version 1.0-6 - July 17, 2011
- Implemented validation of "xid" attribute.
- Version 1.0-5 - July 15, 2011
- Added gls4tr custom extensions to the XML catalog.
- Improved checking of <it> tags.
- Version 1.0-4 - May 21, 2011
- Added option to remove invalid XML characters.
- Added MemoQ and Trados Studio custom XLIFF extensions to the XML catalog to suport validating their XLIFF files.
- Version 1.0-3 - February 11, 2010
- Improved validation of XLIFF 1.0 using DTDs.
- Version 1.0-2 - June 21, 2009
- Validated attributes of XLIFF 1.1 and XLIFF 1.2 Transitional against a special table due to a bug in the original schemas. The bug allows any attribute in XLIFF elements without declaring a separate namespace.
- Modified XLIFF 1.2 schemas in the XML catalog, commenting the "merged-trans" attribute in <trans-unit> element. According to the specification document, this attribute is only allowed in the <group> element.
- Version 1.0-1 - June 7, 2009
- Allowed XLIFF elements to be in any namespace.
- Version 1.0-0 - June 3, 2009
- Initial release.